Dating back to 1785 with the opening of the Deanston Cotton Mill now the building that houses the Deanston distillery, located on the banks of the River Teith, eight miles from the historic town of Stirling, at the gateway to the dramatic Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park, the Deanston distillery is the largest distillery owned by Scotch whisky producer Burn Stewart Distillers Ltd.
The Deanston Distillery started life in 1785 as a cotton mill and remained as such for 180 years until it was transformed into a distillery in 1966. In its early days, the Deanston Mill was at the forefront of the Industrial Revolution in Scotland and developed a number of nationally important innovations that continue to impact the distillery today.
The constant supply of pure water from the River Teith contributed to the decision to turn the mill into a distillery and Deanston is now the only distillery in Scotland to be self-sufficient in electricity, with power generated by an on-site hydro-energy facility. Deanston sits in the Highland single malt region of Scotland and produces whisky handcrafted by ten locals; un-chill filtered, natural colour and bottled at a strength of 46.3% ABV.
Deanston first acquired its name in 1500, when Walter Drummond (the Dean of Dunblane) inherited the lands now known as Deanston from the Haldanes of Gleneagles. The Scots word ‘dean’ was coupled with the Scots Gaelic term ‘toun’, meaning farm/settlement, to make Deanston.