The building which houses the Dufftown distillery was originally a saw and meal mill and was converted in 1895 into a whisky distillery by the Dufftown Glenlivet Distillery Company.
In 1933 Dufftown distillery along with the Blair Athol distillery were purchased by Perth based whisky blenders Arthur Bell & Sons Ltd. Dufftown has been an important component of the world famous Bells blend ever since. Bells doubled the number of stills from two to four in 1974 and a further two stills were added in 1979. This resulted in Dufftown having the capacity to produce 27 million litres of whisky per year.
Since 1985, Dufftown has been owned by United Distillers & Vintners. UDV is owned by industry giant Diageo; Scotland’s largest malt whisky producer.