The Linkwood distillery is situated on the outskirts of Elgin, in the Speyside region of Scotland; it was built in 1821 by Peter Brown with two stills, and is named after Linkwood House. Production started in 1825 with a capacity of 4,500 litres per year. James Walker operated the distillery until Browns death in 1868, after which the distillery went under the control of his son, William Brown. The house style is light, fruity and fragrant, with honeysuckle being noted.
Between 1872 and 1873 William Brown, the son of Peter Brown designed and built a new distillery with help of architect Methven, replacing the old one. The new distillery had a capacity of 227,000 liters per year. After William Browns death, the Linkwood-Glenlivet Company was created by Browns family in 1898 and brought to the stock exchange. The distillery was then further extended to a capacity of 454,000 litres per year. In 1902 Innes Cameron joined the Linkwood-Glenlivet Company and became managing director of the Linkwood distillery until his death in 1932. By that time he was the largest shareholder of the company. The company was sold to Scottish Malt Distillers, which itself was bought by United Distillers.